Bearing and coupling installation
  • Hi everybody
    I have found that tapping bearings and couplings in fiddly and getting them square is "hit or miss" so I have started using a 4mm nut and bolt system I pass the bolt with a washer on it through the bearing or coupling then through the hole to which the fitting is to be attached , then add another washer and finally the nut gentling tightening the nut pulls the fitting into the wood and the washers help keep every thing nice and square with very thing It also allows you to line up the grub screws when required
    Best to all
    Andy
  • Great idea Andrew!
    I would think you could possibly do both bearings at the same set up with a long enough bolt; or "all thread" ?
  • really a great idea!
  • MarkC
    I did pull both bearings in on one of the drive weights and it worked just fine I like this method as you can get a "good line of sight" across the plane to check for horizontal with the rest of the drive weight and you can then very gently adjust both bearing at the same time to get them Square
    Andy
    Tic Tock
  • To install bearings w/o hammering them I use a vise to simulate an arbor press. Chamfer the hole, push or tap the bearing lightly to get it started then turn the part sideways and hold it between the vise jaws while turning the lead screw to tighten. As the jaws close they will square up the bearing then press it straight into place. This requires little force, which makes it easy to feel when the outer race seats on the bottom of the counterbore, if there is one. If not, it will install the bearing so it is exactly flush with at least one face of the part.

I use the small machinist's vise from my drill press table but have resorted to a large bench vise for jobs where more reach is needed, as with the center of a large cog. Almost any vise will do, even a homemade one, as long as the jaws are parallel and don't deflect under load, which for pressing in clock bearings is pretty light.
  • I don't install the bearings until the frame is assembled. Then, I slide the arbor through the front frame, slide on the two bearings, and gently push the bearings into their respective holes. With tight fits, I gently use the blade of a slotted screwdriver. This keeps the bearings aligned perfectly as they are installed.