A completed Sextus and a few modifications
  • I truly enjoyed the build. This is one of the nicest kits I've ever had. The materials are all top notch and the instruction manual is really nice, very impressive!

    I did make a few mods:

    Added 1mm long X 6mm OD X 4mm ID sleeves to the pendula arbors to stop the set collars from coming in contact with the bearing outer race. This was a marked improvement in accuracy and efficiency. I will do the same on the intermediate but will use a small nitrile o-ring when they arrive.

    Pre-conditioned the bearings by flushing them in a heated ultrasonic cleaner and then lubricating them with a high quality teflon lubricant. When the pendula are connected together they free swing for over 4 minutes.

    Added a steampunk rewind mechanism to replace the crank. I was weary of the forces it subjected the clock frame to. The fifteen tooth sprocket is inlaid into the winding barrel and then covered with veneer for aesthetics.

    Replaced the weight cord with 20lb. braided fishing line. Strong and ultra thin.
    Update - I replaced the 20lb line with 80 lb line after conducting strength tests and finding 20lb line separates at 14lbs! Dang! Don't want to hurt the cats!

    Added wax paper washers under the pallet assemblies where they screw to the pendula. This was to keep them from sticking and making it hard to adjust.

    Added a very thin, very hard wood veneer to the face of each pallet for both wear and to adjust the contact point to make it as perfect as possible.

    I added bearings to both the intermediate and escapement arbors. (this is not recommended by Dave, saw this after I was finished with the mod.)

    The clock is currently running nicely at 2625g of weight. Even dragging the new winding chain.

    Thanks Dave for designing such a great kit.

    Charles

  • I've added the 2:1 pulley and the copper weight shell. The copper tubing has a 6mm wall thickness and weighs 2500g by itself!
  • Here's the next idea. This should minimize the weight related stressing of the frame. I copied the idea of lateral tension from the user Precision and modified to allow the use of a single weight. This should be self balancing and develop equal tension on both weight cables.
    Unilateral tension clock drive arrangement.pdf
    5K
  • it was one of the easier clocks to get running. it ran the first time. amazing for me. the pendulum would swing over 2 minutes. but adding weight did not get it fast enough it made the pendulum hit the frame. so I dropped the weight to 6# and lowered the pendulum weights till the clock was accurate. it only stopped once till I checked the video on how to adjust the pallets a couple minutes later and the clock has not stopped unless I took the weight off.