Bearings
  • Using some bearings and wish to reduce friction within them. Have various types and easiest to spin are basic open dry bearings. Also have some sealed in grease which i will degrease and lube. Will try both but what would be best lube ? I have PTFE spray, graphite powder and thin oil. Anyone any thoughts?
  • Hi George,

I have been down this same road. I used a heated ultrasonic cleaner with alcohol to flush the grease. I than used a very light weight PTFE lubricant. After I had finished the modification I pondered a few things. As these clocks base there time keeping directly off the weight the amount of friction or drag will play a direct role in the speed of the clock. As the bearing ages and the oil dries out will the change in drag cause the clock to slow down? This will be more prevalent on the high speed low torque arbors such as the escapement. Over long periods of time is the wood to brass interface actually better? Will it keep a more consistent drag coefficient than a roller bearing? While wood to brass has a drag coefficient 10 times higher then a roller bearing is it still a better fit due to stability over time. I guess only "time" will tell. Lastly, have you thought of using a sintered bronze sleeve bearing? These are readily available in small sizes and I believe stable over long periods of time.

Charles
  • Thanks for reply Charles.
    Using bearing for pendulum on secundus but instead of arms i intend to use a wooden circle for clock face suspended from bearing and will need low inertia to keep running i guess. Still in early days of development but think i can get swing time right with weights placed at 6 and 12 similar to quintus. Best bearings i found were cheap open face for this but have taken some sealed bearings apart and cleaned, lubed with thin oil and resealed with good long swing time.

George