Wooden Weight Shell
  • Andrew Sever has provided a nifty method of making wooden weight shells, which he also used to good effect with his Septimus.

Click on the icon below to download the PDF

Wooden Weigth Shell
  • Hi Dave

That wooden weight shell looks just the ticket but it appears the PDF hasn't attached to the link properly. Would really like to see how Andrew made this.

Ta

Mark
  • @Mark
    I have attached the PDF using a different method, let me know if that works.

Dave
  • Got it thanks Dave, it all becomes clear now, the angle of the grain in the photo above made me think it was a herringbone design, hmmm, now there's an idea !

Mark
  • Andrew, thanks for making this available.

Mark
  • You are more then welcome Mark. I completely agree herringbone would look awesome!

The lathe is a tool that I have only just started to learn (the finger nail gouge I have loves to grab and ruin pieces in a blink of an eye). I have seen some bowls and vases with amazing designs incorporated into them. Seems to me that they would be be a natural fit to Dave's amazing designs.

Good Luck!
    Andy
  • Hi all, I am a wood turning trying to get into clock building. So using a hollow weight (filled with sand or BB's) seems like a natural idea and adds to the beauty of the overall product. for beginners on the wood lathe you can do it the easy way and hollow using a large spade bit in the tailstock chuck, just keep the lathe speed and feed rate low.