Powering a Quintus
  • Just thought I'd share my solution to batteries on the Quintus.
    I now use mains power. I have built two Quintus's now, the first is powered by an old phone charger, and most folk have a few of these kicking around. I just cut the bit that plugs into the phone off and replaced it with a battery snap, the two battery snaps connect together. Be aware of polarity! I can now use either the power adaptor or a battery.
    On the second I am now using a USB lead powered from a "universal" usb wall plug adaptor. I found a receptical to put into the base of the clock, this is to suit the usb lead you have, can be mini usb or the male receptical I aquired. This is then wired into the battery leads.
    So now my power lead plugs in the back of the clock through a suitably sized hole I made in the side wall of the base.
    The beauty of using phone or usb power supplys is that no matter what the local supply, they supply a regulated voltage, and they tend to be cheap and easily obtained.

Might be useful to someone!

Chris.
  • What voltage does the clock run on?
  • 9 volt batteries are in the spec, however with some friction reduction, nothing special just following Dave's recommendations mine are running well on the 5 volts the usb and phone charger kicks out, just!

Chris.
  • Hi Chris
    I Completed Four Quintus and they run off transformers. The clocks were made on my cnc machine for Christmas Presents. I Purchased just the plans, as the cost between the Uro and Canadian dollar is just to Great, so I even made my own clock circuit, the requirements were for 9 volt DC but the power from my circuit was too great, the pendulums were swinging too high and too fast, I reduced the voltage to 6 volts DC, and that worked, But one volt lower the Pendulums slow down or stop, one volt higher and the clock runs very fast. very voltage sensitive. So the reason for this comment. all the transformers I tried were not regulated fine enough, at my shop the current from the wall is very constant. but at the clock's new homes it isn't, they run fast and sometimes through the day they run too slow. So I am testing battery configurations. My clock circuit is a voltage hog. so regular pen cells eg. AA would not last long.
    Bruce
  • Hi Bruce,
    Four Quintus, that some going.... built 2 now and one of those was for a present, I have another in kit form awaiting a good home.....
    Even an overswinging pendulum should still run to the right time, as it is the period of the pendulum that is key. The little cam on the top can be adjusted to ensure that only one tooth per swing is pulled thought by the arm. But an underswinging pendulum won't work as it won't pull the ratchet wheel round far enough!
    I have found the 5v usb "wall blocks" fairly consistant with their output, they have to charge mobile devices, and the output should be governed with a zener diode and so be stable!
    I did find that coil to pendulum magnet spacing was critical to getting my clocks to run on 5v usb power, and the top of the coil pocket in the base ended up very thin!
    Did you wind your own coils?
    Your circuit, is it you own design?

Chris
  • Hi Chris
    If you check out the Gallery you can see my homemade cnc machine and three of my clocks in various stages of construction. The circuits were designed for use of a 9 volt battery, but the pendulums were swinging so high the escapement pins were hitting the frames. I used washers between the bob and the magnet, if I adjusted the magnet just one washer further away from the coil the pendulum became unstable, and because this coil design required a metal core with a inner coil "detects the Pendulum's swing" with a outer coil the "repulsive force" controlled by one transistor and one diode. if the magnet is too close to the metal core center it is attracted to Iron and you get an erratic swing, so the solution was reduce the voltage, I used a variable voltage transformer to find the sweet spot and that turned out to be 6 volts DC. the clocks ran for two weeks before Christmas without loosing or gaining even one half a minute.
    One lucky relative who got one of my clocks lives in Kingston Ontario Canada. they have a Condo and in the morning they have difficulty cooking breakfast as the coffee maker, toaster, stove, all run with reduced heat. The Condo Management say it is the Hydro Company causing the issue, they call it a brownout. So the clock looses time during this period and I am looking at batteries to correct this.
    The circuit comes from research on the internet. I can't take full ownership. but it is open source.
    Bruce
  • Before I converted my electronics, as supplied by Dave, to usb power, my 9v batteries were only lasting a few months.
    4 AA or even AAA batteries at 6v should have a greater mW/h rating than a 9v battery anyway and therefore last longer with the same current drain!
    Do you have a link for the circuit you are using, I do have some circuit simulation software that might point a way to reducing the power you are using.

Chris
  • I will draw the schematics and post that. not much of a circuit, but it required trial and error for the coil sizes. I was thinking of trying a lantern battery, just cut the wires at the transformer attach the battery somehow and they can have it sit on the floor behind their cabinet.
    quintus.jpg
    3072 x 4096 - 3M