Drive assembly and drive arbour
  • Hi, I am a little confused about how the drive arbour assembly is fixed to the arbour. I can see how the barrel is going to work on the ratchet clicks and presume the barrel section is free to spin on the arbour? However, does the wheel get fixed to the arbour?

All other wheels have couplings which lock the wheel to the arbour but I can't see any way the drive wheel is fixed down. I must admit, the same is true with the minute wheel and arbour so I'm guessing I will have the same question with this. Are these wheels and assemblies fixed down to the arbour, friction fit or simply free to spin on the arbour?

Any help appreciated.

Chris
  • I can't remember from the design, but I don't immediately see why it would need to be - there bearings are there to hold the weight, I think - and the ratchet will turn the clock - so I cannot see any reason for it to need to be secured on the arbour . But I didn't design the thing!
  • Just checked - nothing secures the drive arbour assembly to the arbour - it should freely rotate on the arbour just like the barrel should.

The minute wheel is 'fixed' on the arbor by friction due to the diameter of one of the spacers being very tight - don't sand down the inside of those like I did, else the clock will appear to loose time. The friction has to be high enough to reliably turn the clock hands, but it isn't screwed down with a coupling so you can manually turn the hands (using enough force to overcome the friction).
  • ChrisR Asked exactly the same question on You Tube pertaining to the "ball bearing" tutorial video, which is where I answered it, but Wembley as saved me the job of answering here, thanks :-)

Dave