Septimus
  • I am very new to this mechanical clock aspect - all the clocks I have previously built have been electronic. One such clock was tuned for Sidereal time with a crystal kept hot in an oven to 50 degC. This clock kept reasonable accuracy of 1 sec per month.
    But now, I'm looking forward to receiving the Septimus kit and slowly putting it together over a long time - the enjoyment has to be taking the parts and ending up with a operational masterpiece...
    I tossed up on using my CNC mill to cut all the gears and parts, but when I saw the kit I couldn't resist the short-cut, hence the plan for a slow assembly.
    Thank you David for this opportunity on this Forum for airing our thoughts.
  • I finished my Septimus last week and it's been up on the wall in my hall running continuously all week. I had a few screw-ups with it - mostly due to my unfamiliarity with dealing with wood (I had to get two replacement main wheels - I broke a tooth off the first one, removing it from the parts sheet and then mis-glued the second one due to misreading the manual. All I would say is take your time - but if you own your own CNC router, you know more about woodwork then I ever will, I expect.
  • Thanks for that information, Wembley. I will take extra care when pulling the parts off the board - yes, they will be very fragile; one of the features of wood - strong in some aspects and very weak in others.
    I guess I could cut more gears if something bad does happen.
    As far as my knowledge of cutting wood goes, I'm quite familiar with milling Merbou but that's about it! There are definitely 'good' woods for machining as well as difficult woods. Trial and error is a good teacher.
    Peter
  • The only other comment I have is that a) sand everything properly, b) you probably won't need any epoxy resin and c) I managed to successfully construct the clock without either a drill press or a vice.
  • At the end of the day, you really only need very few tools, to put together one of my kits, and let´s be quite honest, no amount of machinery can replace patience and endurance. But I use my drill press continuously, even though I know I could manage without, it just makes my life that little bit easier, the same I could say about a vice. As to epoxy resin, for my defense I must say epoxy resin is embedded in my genes, my Dad, who I love dearly, is maybe not the best of artisans, and if he cannot join it with epoxy then it is not worth joining.
    Dave
  • Oh, I should also say that while I didn't have a drill press, what was invaluable was my cordless drill - which I was able to use to polish the arbors with. As I said, the loss was mostly in the cosmetic finish - the brass pins in mine aren't a uniform length, and would look a lot better ground down both so they're the same length, and sanded down at the gear-face end - but that doesn't affect the function at all.