Fighting the beast called 'Friction'
  • Struggling with keeping my half built Nonus going for more than 5 minutes, I came across a possible cure to the forces of 'friction'. By accident, looking for something else on a busy worktop a steel rod was spotted with a compression spring fitting over it.

The outside diameter of the rod fitted very snugly into the internal hole of the spring. No rubbing to prevent the spring from spinning on the rod, but also, very very little slack.

With calipers I worked out the outside diameter of the spring....and drilled a trial hole in wood. If you have chosen the correct sized drill, the spring will need a little persuasion to feed into the length of the drilled hole in the wood. Twisting the spring with thumb and first finger anticlockwise reduces the overall diameter of the spring and gradually it can be pushed into place. Some further encouragement is given with a small screwdriver gently pushing the spring to full depth.

Finally snip the spring to the correct length and push the end into the hole.

I've used this method on the Nonus drop arm bearing and the count wheel. Everything in these two areas seem to be working perfectly......everything spinning really well.

Presumably, thinking about the mechanics and technology of this discovery the spring offers a reduced surface to rub against the rod, compared with the contact that would occur with the rod turning in a 'hole' be it metal or wood or any other material.

Still scratching my head over why the clock isn't feeding the pendulum with sufficient 'omph' to get it thro' the next minute. Terry Diss
  • I am having trouble as well. My Nonus will run for about two to three hours and then stops. In my opinion I have every surface as smooth as I can get them. All the gears pass the blow test. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone give any advice?
  • Firstly, is this a kit or a scratch build?
  • Mathijs G Sep 8 2016
    Having the same problem. Will run for 5 mins then drop weight insufficient force to push the impulse pallet. Would bearings on the drop help or increasing the weight of the drop weight help?
    Has anyone solved the problem?
  • some dry silicone spray can work wonders. I have not built the nonus yet though. it is frustrating when a clock won't run. my primus had a but too short arbors and the gears slid some. it was not a issue till I thought the clocks were letting loose and the weight was screaming down in the middle of the night. but I finally found it was wobbly drive gear and the sliding of the next gear the teeth would un mesh and the thing would scream as the weight hit the floor. my sextus had the last fruition of any clock the pendulums needed to swing for 50 seconds mine went over2 minute. but adding weight to speed up the clock did not work. all my clocks have their issues I have to solve.
  • Hi Terry, hi MarcV,

Suggest you look into these 2 areas:
    . the timing of the drop weight, Dave's explanation here is precious: http://www.woodentimers.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/139/why-your-nonus-could-be-stopping-after-2-or-3-cycles-.
    I found that my trigger arm had to be retarded quite far before it dropped right on top of the pallet, at the end of the right swing. The Slo-Mo mode of the I-phone camera is the perfect help for this.
    . the counter weight could be a bit to heavy, particularly in my case, I had it 2mm longer, so the drop weight wasn't heavy enough to impulse energy to keep the amplitude of the swing sufficient, and after sometime, the trigger arm no longer had enough reach to push the drop weight pawl far enough to disengage the ratchet and the clock stopped. I added a large washer, about 5-10grams, right next to the roller and that kept my Nonus running.

Good luck.

Phung-Te
  • Sorry, I just realize that Terry and MarcV posts was last year!!! Their clock must be well running long before mine.
  • I've been having the same problems with my Sextus. It took 10pounds (4.5 Kg), to keep it running, but still lost time. Intermediate arbor rolls for 43 seconds after flick, pedula swings 81 seconds (both together) 2 minutes each individually. Next effort will be ptfe bearings.