Broken key
  • Does anyone have the key broken?
    Part 41 has too few material around the cut out.
    I glued it back and put some tape around, then I glued a metal ring on it.
    I works, but looks ugly and does not fit to wooden clock philosophy.
    I think parts 40 and 41 should have at least 3 mm bigger outside diameter.
  • The wind mechanism on the Sextus is not geared, so the key is taking the full 2kg+ of the drive weight. My Sextus key broke early on, and I made a much larger one based on one of my Clayton Boyer clock designs. Even so, when winding the Sextus, I have a ring on the weight and support most of the weight with my other hand while winding, to prevent stress on the key and the frame.
  • Paul,
    To wind it I need three hands. One to move the key. One to lift the weight and one to hold the mechanism to prevent escaping wheel and pendulums from chaotic movement.
  • I don't understand why you have "chaotic movement" when you wind the clock. Only the wind barrel should move. Always stop the clock before winding. If the wind barrel is affecting the drive train, then your click gears are too tight and need easing.
  • Thanks for that feedback, I will increase the diameter of the key.
  • Paul, How can I ease click gears? Are they adjustable? My clock is trembling badly while winding.
  • I assume you are using the latest version of the Sextus clicks, where they are held in a spring-loaded circular frame, as opposed to the earlier ones which worked on gravity. When Dave supplied the new ones to me to replace the gravity clicks, I had the same problem as you, and Dave suggested that I file the mating surfaces so that the winding drum did not turn the rest of the mechanism. Can I suggest you ask Dave exactly where you should file to achieve a smooth wind-up?
  • Dave,
    I use new version of clicks.
    Where should I file them to achieve a smooth wind-up, so that the winding drum does not turn the rest of the mechanism? ;-)
  • @Dmitry
    Not really sure what is going wrong there that you should have a "chaotic movement" when winding the Sextus. Paul was kind enough to also test the new clicks, but retro fitted them to an older click wheel, which had to be sanded down.
    Your kit has the new clicks as well as the new click wheel, both tried and tested.
    Because of the nature of spring loaded clicks there will always be a certain amount of "pulling" effect transmitted to the gear train, as well as the friction of the drive wheel on the drive arbor.
    Have you loosened your clicks as mentioned in the instructions?
  • @ Dave.
    Clicks are loosen fine. I think the trembling might happen because my clock is temporary hanging on the standing alone stud, not on the wall, and side mounting points are in the air.
  • Finally I made my new butterfly shape wooden clock key. I used a scrap piece of very hard exotic wood that matched to the color of the stain I used for the frame and pendulums. I tried to use remains of the plywood, but there was too much on chipping. So I used the piece of nice flamed maple. It came out pretty good I think and it's convenient to wind the clock.

20150405_181115.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M